How do I edit the alternative text for a photo on Facebook?
Automatic alt text uses object recognition technology to provide a visual description of a photo for the blind and vision-loss community. You can replace this text to provide a better description of a photo. Keep in mind that this description will only be read if someone is using a screen reader to access Facebook.
To see and edit alt text for a photo before you post it:
- Click Photo/Video at the top of your News Feed.
- Select the photo you want to add.
- Hover over the photo and click Edit.
- The automatically generated text will be shown on the left side of your photo. Click Override generated alt text to edit it.
- Write your alt text in the box. To change back to the automatically generated text, click Clear.
- To save your alt text, click Save in the bottom left.
To change the alt text of a photo after you've posted it:
- Click the photo to open it.
- Click in the top right and select Change Alt Text.
- Click Override generated alt text or change the alt text in the text box. You can also click Clear to change your edited alt text back to the automatically generated text.
- Click Save.